Since Joomla version 4 onwards the traditional administration menu across the top of the screen has now been moved to the sidebar. The question is, Is it necessary for the user to use all the available menus on the dashboard page?
One thing that Joomla users mostly appreciate about the platform is its flexibility. One of the great things is that almost each part of the back-end is easily customizable, also the admin top menu. In this article, we will find out how to minimize this menu. Or at least show only what we or the customer want via the dashboard page, without using 3rd party extensions or writing any custom code.
Why need custom Administrator Menus in Dashboard?
For developers or administrators: sometimes we feel annoyed when we need a task but manipulate too many steps or it is hidden. Many menus are unnecessary or rarely used. All of this affects your feel and productivity.
With customers: Optimizing the backend will help increase the user experience, Joomla will not be as rigid as many people think when it comes to it compared to WordPress when they start with creating a website.
How to Create Custom Administrator Menus
Understand in a simple way, the admin page as well as the front-end of the website. It has 1 layout and multiple positions, and each position can contain 1 or more modules. This admin page menu is also a module like the Main Menu module of your website.
Step 1. Create an Administrator menu
Go to Administrator page > Menus > Manager.
Switch to Administrator Menu list.
Click New button
Enter a Title for the menu, Unique Name then SAVE
You'll now see that this custom menu appears in the Dashboard. The dropdown is divided into Site and Administrator.
Step 2. Add your custom menu link items
Your work has just begun, let's make a list of menu items to add to this sidebar.
To make the menus look better you need to prepare icons for each link, choose them here https://fontawesome.com/v5.15/icons
Go to Administrator page > Menus > Custom Admin Menu.
Click New button
Enter a Title for the menu item, Menu Item Type
Don't forget click Link Type to add Link Icon Class for your menu item
Final, click SAVE
Step 3. Publish your Custom Administrator Menu
Now Click System menu then choose Administrators Modules
At here please enter “Admin Menu” in search then click the search button. We, Will, have 1 module Admin Menu here, please click to edit
At the Menu to Show option, please choose your custom menu that you create above then click SAVE
Step 4. Enjoy your new Dashboard
Enjoy the results now! It will take some time to customize the menu for your customers, but it will make for a great experience.
In fact, Joomla already has a number of custom admin menus available for users to choose:
- Preset - Content Dashboard: The content dashboard lets you manage content, modules and settings for features like workflows and custom fields. Additional modules in this dashboard show you statistics on features like recently added and popular articles.
- Preset - Alternative Main Menu: This dashboard is by default quite clean, with modules to manage menus and menu items, as well as a list of shortcuts to each menu on your site.
- Preset - Components Dashboard: Unlike the Menus dashboard, the Components one is likely to get quite busy as you go about installing components on your site. Each component will typically end up with a module displaying on the components dashboard.
- Preset - Joomla Main Menu
- Preset - Help Dashboard
- Preset - Menus Dashboard
- Preset - System Dashboard
- Preset - Users Dashboard: The Users dashboard lets you manage users, displays who’s logged in and allows you to manage user notes.
Tip! When you create a menu you can import the presets above to save time, then edit the items in this menu.